Monday, August 23, 2010

My take on P90X


There are many workout programs on the market today, and many of them promise results in as little as 10 minutes a day, 3 days a week. Needless to say, I am skeptical of most of these. If you watch any amount of television, then you have undoubtedly seen the infomercials for P90X. A few months ago, my wife suggested that she would like for us to try and complete the P90X program together. I did some research on it, and since I had grown tired of just going to the gym and doing the same routine 4-5 days per week, we decided to give it a try. All you need is some space, dumbbells, pull-up bar, and yoga mat. We completed the 90 day program a few weeks ago and I have started on the P90X Plus program. I'll post some information about our experiences and opinions below.

1. This is an intense program, and you have to be dedicated to finish it. It requires a little over an hour of your time 6 days per week, and some days you may just not feel like working out. But, once you start the program, or pretty much any exercise program, you will likely be motivated to complete it. That said, with P90X, it requires a lot of time and effort, but we saw very positive results, such as strength gains, flexibility improvements, and an increase in cardiovascular endurance. It is not a "gimmick" workout program.
2. The workouts target every major muscle group in your body, which is good if you are a person like me that rarely ever concentrated on his lower body at the gym.
3. You can modify the workouts. Based on your fitness level and goals, you can change the number of repetitions of an exercise you perform, the amount of weight you use, etc. This is extremely helpful for those starting at a lower fitness level or not wanting to "bulk up."
4. The Yoga and flexibility workouts were extremely beneficial for me. Before starting this program, my flexibility was terrible. I knew it was terrible and knew that I needed to spend more time performing flexibility exercises, I just wouldn't do it on my own. Well, since this was part of the program, I was forced to do it. My hamstring flexibility was awful before beginning, I could probably only reach down about halfway between my knees and foot in either a standing or sitting position. After completing the program, I can bend over and put all 5 fingers on the floor, and I can also touch the bottom of my feet in a seated position.
5. We really enjoyed the workouts, they didn't seem to last an hour and we had a lot of fun. The workouts also have good warm-up and cool down periods.

Now, let me offer a few words of caution about the program.

1. This is an intense program, so you should be in relatively good shape before beginning. If you have any questions about whether or not to start, a visit to your physician is probably a good thing.
2. Tony Horton uses the terms "muscle memory" and "muscle confusion" during the infomercials and workouts. I've already blogged about the fallacy of muscle memory, and muscle confusion also does not exist. While a positive of the program is that you perform different exercises and routines, this does not result in muscle confusion. I'll have to do a blog post on muscle confusion in the near future.
3. Depending on what your goals are, this program may not be for you. If you are looking to make larger strength gains and really bulk up, or are just looking to lose a few pounds, then I wouldn't recommend P90X.

The most important thing to remember is to find some form of exercise that you enjoy doing that incorporates strength training, flexibility, and a cardiovascular component. It doesn't have to be P90X or some other fancy exercise routine. The best thing you can do for your long term health is to start moving!!

No comments:

Post a Comment