Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Running with a fractured fibula


Although the Olympics are over, there is still time to examine some of the things that occurred over the past two and a half weeks.  One of the most impressive was US sprinter Manteo Mitchell finishing has leg of the men's 4 x 400 meter relay despite the fact that he was running on a fractured fibula.  How was he able to do this?  There are many factors that come into play, including his psychological condition and motivation, pain tolerance, and the fact that he is a world class elite athlete.  The only factors that I am able to analyze are the anatomical and biomechanical factors.

The fibula is the smaller, thinner bone located on the lateral (outer) side of your lower leg.  At the proximal (top) end, it articulates with the tibia (knee), and at the distal (bottom) end, it articulates with the tibia and helps form the ankle.  The "bump" on the lateral side of your ankle is the lateral malleolus, which is part of the fibula.  Due to the placement and size of the fibula, it does not play as large of a role in force absorption and weight bearing as the larger tibia does.  In fact, about 10-15 % of the force from the ground during walking and running is absorbed by the fibula, and the other 85-90% is absorbed by the tibia.  Even though it does not absorb as much force as the tibia, it is still a critical bone to transfer force from the foot and ankle up to the knee, and without a fibula, it would be nearly impossible to walk or run.  If Mitchell had fractured his tibia, he likely would not have been able to finish the race.  Since he fractured his fibula, he was able to finish, which was a very impressive accomplishment, not only because of the intense pain he was in, but also because the fractured fibula disrupted the normal transfer of force between the ground, and his foot, and ankle, and lower leg.  This is just speculation, but there is probably not a high percentage of people that would be able to continue running with a fractured fibula.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Dr. Knight,

    I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with what you've written here.

    I underwent a free vascularized fibular graft when I was 11 years old and I have returned to an entirely normal life now at 19, running and walking as I please.

    My results, as someone without a fibula, disagrees entirely with your statement that says "even though it does not absorb as much force as the tibia, it is still a critical bone to transfer force from the foot and ankle up to the knee, and without a fibula, it would be nearly impossible to walk or run."

    I would like to advise you to examine some medical literature as published here: http://www.jaypeejournals.com/eJournals/ShowText.aspx?ID=2924&Type=FREE&TYP=TOP&IN=~/eJournals/images/JPLOGO.gif&IID=228&isPDF=YES

    Best,

    Jonathan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi mr.jonathan I know it's long time when your post your comment but I recently ungergo free fibula facial reconstrution where my fibula bone from right leg is completely harvested. I was so worried about how I walk, run can I lift weight like before does it change my walking style....pls reply me thankyou in advance...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello unknown, I underwent free fibula flap facial reconstruction a few years ago. I’d love to chat. As for my fibula, or lack of fibula, I walk normally and do not have pain. However, I constantly roll my ankle and have fallen a few times. Please email me if you are interested in chatting. Hope your recovery is going well! afleming79@gmail.com

      Delete
  3. I had fibula free flap surgery too, just over 5 months ago. I was a regular runner and cyclist before, so I was worried about this.

    I started returning to running a couple of weeks ago. No pain from the leg but it needs to gain strength (I'm running off road and can feel the stability muscles fatiguing)

    It's important to work on the ankle stability, strength and flexibility as soon as you can post surgery.

    Hopefully this re-assures anyone in a similar position in future.

    Alex.

    ReplyDelete
  4. and lifting weights is fine - deadlifts and squats are no problem. Just don't rush into it, be patient and wait for the leg to heal.

    ReplyDelete